The incorporation of epidemiology AND laboratory training makes the Caribbean Regional programme a FELTP = Field Epidemiology AND Laboratory Training Programme.

Globally, Field Epidemiology Training Programmes ("FETPs") are widely recognized professional development programmes for public health professionals, based on service and on-the-job learning in applied epidemiology.

The Epidemic Intelligence Service (EIS) was the first FETP, established by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control in 1951 to address a shortage of skilled epidemiologists in the public health workforce. There are now more than 50 national and regional FETPs and FELTPs around the world.

The goal of the Caribbean Regional FELTP is to provide a core curriculum of competency-based classroom learning and on-the-job training, to develop field epidemiology skills and tools to respond to public health issues in the Caribbean through surveillance, outbreak investigation, and operational research and analysis.

The Caribbean Regional FELTP is structured in three tiers: Level I is a 5-month programme that provides basic training in applied epidemiology, public health laboratory science, and communications. Level II will comprise an additional 4 months of learning in the same content areas, at an intermediate level, and introduce competencies in the areas of teaching and training. Level III will be a full two-year "fellowship" programme. At each tier, Trainees will spend about 20% of the time in the classroom, and the remaining 80% of their time on the job, implementing what they have learned and demonstrating their skills while providing service to public health organizations.

The CR-FELTP is designed for health professionals from diverse backgrounds, who want to contribute to building Caribbean capacity to implement evidence-based health actions and policies, to prevent disease, promote and  protect health.


  1. Deliver actionable information for determining public health policy and programming
  2. Build and link the systems that are fundamental to containing emerging health threats that may affect national, regional, or global health
Trainees in a Lab


  • Support “learning through doing” in public health organizations
  • Help countries build sustainable capacity for detecting and responding to urgent public health issues
  • Country-owned and tailored to meet the public health needs and infrastructure of each country
  • Build capacity for training other healthcare professionals, supporting a culture of service
  • Contribute to a global network of FE(L)TPs, to facilitate information sharing and professional development
Trainees in a Lab


"An integrated set of knowledge, skills and attitudes that support the successful performance of a job function"
Building Competency and Capacity


Potential Benefits:

  • Improve public health responses to control disease outbreaks
  • Reduce deaths and disability due to non communicable diseases
  • Conduct operational research to inform health policy in the Caribbean
  • Improve the use of new and advanced laboratory technologies
  • Increase collaboration between laboratory and epidemiology


On April 22, 2015, the first cohort of Trainees in St Lucia to complete Level I of the Caribbean Regional Field Epidemiology and Laboratory Training P... read more...
Caribbean Regional Field Epidemiology and Laboratory Training Programme (CR-FELTP) Trains New Mentors in Jamaica The Caribbean Public Health Agency (... read more...
Graduation day for CR-FELTP Trainees  On Thursday, February 19, 2015, the first cohort of Trainees to complete Level I of the Caribbean Region... read more...
izmir eskort izmir eskort